Habits #4: Serve Purposefully
Habits Week #4
- Everybody knows what the church is against, not many people know what it stands for!
- Followers of Jesus Christ purposefully serve other people
- Every person here is called, gifted, equipped, and empowered to serve
On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” 27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” Luke 10:25-29
IN ORDER TO “SERVE PURPOSEFULLY”, WE MUST EMBRACE 2 BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES:
1. We’ve got to learn to see people as Jesus sees people.
- Followers of Jesus change. If you’re not changing, you’re not following!
In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. Luke 10:30-31
- Our Bible studies should propel us to action and not arrogance
32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. Luke 10:32-33
2. We’ve got to respond when Jesus leads.
He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’ Luke 10:34-35
3 WAYS TO BE INVOLVED IN YOUR LOCAL CHURCH:
A. Spiritual involvement
B. Physical involvement
- 3 Questions you can ask to ask yourself in regards to serving:
- What do I enjoy
- What am I good at
- If I could do anything and know I wouldn’t fail, what would I do?
- You need the local church to help you develop your gift.
C. Financial involvement
“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?” 37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.” Luke 10:36-37